Where is she?

Friday 2 December 2011

Down the west coast

Less then 20 days left.. and I am 1500 km away from the airport and still driving further south. I quess it is not necessary to say that a (big) part of me really does not want to leave this country. My journey of the past week took me from Nelson lakes down south along the west coast with its glaciers.

View at mnt Tasman (3496 m) and mnt Cook (3754 m)
 from lake Matheson


Real mountains :)

Fox glacier. In the morning I went for a run to the look out.
Even though it was very cloudy I was still impressed by the huge glacier.


West coast between Hokatika and the Franz Joseph glacier

Haast river valley

Haast river valley

The road between Wanaka and Makarora

Yes, I am starting another hike: to Brewster hut

The first challenge: crossing Haast river which was not very hard. The water was knee deep.

View at the mountains inMnt aspiring national park. The trail followed a high ridge to Brewster hut.

Me tired, but almost there...


Brewster hut


View from the hut at the Brewster glacier.

Just me on my own in the hut. Except from the shrieks of kea's (mountain parrots) and the sound of the river, there was complete silence. It was quite cold in the hut (no logfire). I enjoyed the whole experience.


Fairytale forrest on the way to the hut

I am back in Wanaka now, which is great. Still as beautiful as before. I am visiting friends here in the next few days. It is very nice to see all of them again.

They say I haven't changed, except for the fact that my calfs have become twice as big ;) It's true that my legs have become very muscular. I don't even fit my dutch jeans :(


WHOOOAAAAAWWW!! Back in the Wanaka region :))

In winter...
In summer...

In winter...

In summer...
Within a few days I am driving back to Auckland in search for a buyer for my beloved car. If you know anyone in or coming to New Zealand who wants to buy a car (and guitar, pillows, bike, hairdryer, canopener.. etc :) Let me know..

And if you know anyone who can take my tears away about leaving this country.. Let me know as well..

Ps to all the dutch people: have a nice Sinterklaas.. :))

No comments:

Post a Comment