Where is she?

Tuesday 18 October 2011

100 km - 222 km

Wow... remember these four forrests I mentioned in my last  message? Well, they were not just forrests.. but jungles!!
I will start this story from the beginning: after completing Ninety mile beach I enjoyed a day of rest in laid-back Ahipara. I spend it relaxing in the shadow, treating my blisters and eating three meals with lots of vegetables and protein. I also enjoyed talking with Oliver from Nelson who is touring the North Island on his motorbike. In the evening the whole campsite gathered to watch the Rugby World cup which is like the World Soccer Championship in Holland. Argentina had to face the All blacks. I enjoyed watching the game, but still have to get used to the fact that (unlike soccer) jumping and lying on top of each other is part of the game.

I decided to head off to Herekino forrest on Monday. The start of the day was very pleasant until I entered the forrest. It started to rain and didn’t stop until the next morning!!! I was wearing my rainclothes but everything underneath got completely soaked as well. Around 5:30 pm I hadn’t reached the edge of the forrest and started to worry about not finding a place to camp before dark. I kept going: climbing over branches, sliding down through the mud, jumping over mudpools, trying to keep lianes out of my face. Fortunately I reached the end of the forrest just before dark and camped under the trees overlooking a pleasantly looking meadow. Cows with very kind eyes stared into my tent: welcome company J. I put on my last pair of dry clothes and snuggled into my sleeping bag.
The next morning I stepped into a big mudpool. Haha.. I couldn’t be bothered anymore, being covered in mud already and half of my clothes being wet. When I arrived in the village of Takahue, the first car that passed offered me a ride. I happily took it. The next two days I dried all my clothes in Kataia. Kataia is not a nice town. It has lots of empty and ravaged buildings. I stayed in the cheapest and oldest hotel in town, where not much seemed to have changed since the 50's.
On Wednesday I met up with Sjoerd, who had arrived from Holland. Sjoerd is going to accompany me on my hike during the next two weeks. He has never done much hiking before, but is a good mountainbiker and in good shape because of that. On Thursday we hitch-hiked back to the spot where I had stopped, ready to cross the next three forrests…It took five full days through mud, rivers, cows muck, ferns etc to cover the distance to Keri-Keri. Just like ninety mile beach, it was tough and great  at the same time. I think the pictures below tell the story the best. Enjoy J
Oh, the score: no more new blisters, some new freckles on my face, a bit more callus on the soles of my feet, shoulders feel okay, some triggerpoints between my shoulderblades, lots of sandfly bites on lower legs, no other complaints J
Up until now I am truly enjoying the hike. I am grateful for the opportunity to do something that I feel a big passion for. We are planning to continue in the direction of Whangarei tomorrow..

The first forrest after Ahipara, 8 hours to Diggers valley road.


Camping at the edge of Herekino forrest

'Drying' my clothes in the morning after walking in the rain the entire previous day

My lovely 50? year old hotel room in Kataia, drying all my gear: tent, sleepingbag, clothes, raingear..

Sjoerd and me, in Raetea forrest.

Camping on top of Raetea hill 740 m



The giants of the forrest

The walking trail..

Me feeling tired and about to enter the 3rd forrest: Omahuta


Farmland after leaving Raetea forrest

Finally, a view! A nice change after seeing nothing but trunks, leaves and ferns for two days

Camping  in Omahuta forrest. After searching in the rain for the trail with gps and maps, we finally found it. It got late, so we decided to camp on the trail. I love the clouds drifting through the valley..

We thought the people who made the map had been kidding: 'Walk through the stream. Have a wash.' it said... When the trail suddenly ended, it turned out they had not been kidding... 5 km of walking through the stream

It does not feel bad, just a bit wet

Puketi forrest



At 5 pm yesterday we walked around a corner... and saw a whole street full of cafe's and takeaways. Wow!! I thoroughly enjoyed this veggie burger.
Waipapa village

1 comment:

  1. Gaaf verhaal en super mooie foto's, je trip leeft!
    Het is net of ik in je backpack meereis ;-).
    Gaaf om je droom te leven, you go girl!
    XXX Petra

    ReplyDelete